Welcome to Robert Aronson's movie review site! The title pretty much says most of it, folks. If there's any objectivity here then it's not on purpose. The goal is to casually watch non-documentary films and then tell the world my personal opinion of them (at length).

Here's some additional info you might want to keep in mind:

> I'll only rarely review stuff in theaters. I'm too poor for much theater visiting. But I'll rent as soon as I can.

> I'm a conservative Christian (specifically a Messi Bapticostal), and I'm going to bring up God a lot because he's God. Note, as an American I'm not a Republican. I'm more Libertarian than anything. I proudly voted for Ron Paul, the first politician I think I've ever truly respected without effort.

> Since January 1, 2014 I've been giving a star rating to every film I've seen. The up-to-date record can be found here: by Title, by Stars, by Film Year, by Last Viewed.

> I bless the nation of Yisrael and the Hebrew people, and stand by them. (That doesn't really have anything to do with this site, but hey, if I'm given a public platform…)

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Son of God (2014)

Instead of my usual format, I just want to say regarding this film…

AVOID. DO NOT WATCH.

Son of God sets out to tell the story of Yeshua the Messiah as described in the Biblical Gospels. But instead of doing this, it... doesn't, not really. This film is a travesty. I watched just 30 minutes of it and already had pages of notes on historical and doctrinal inaccuracies. I was simply horrified and could not bring myself to continue viewing.

Why so serious a pronouncement? Folks, this isn't an adaptation of a book by J.R.R. Tolkien. It's not The Hobbit. It's the THE BIBLE. You don't mess with the Bible! It's THE WORD OF GOD.

It's acceptable to paraphrase the words of the Bible so long as the precise messages and events remain intact. It's also acceptable to add appropriately considered scenes to a Bible movie in order to fill in gaps of time or just have a little fun. But this movie goes far beyond either of these and actually alters, in a very real way, the Biblical account and what it directly and indirectly teaches.

There is simply too much to complain about even in the first 30 minutes, let alone the next 108! I'll leave the list of crimes to the following two review authors. Jeremy's review is long and in-depth while Sunny's is much shorter but still just as rightly damning.

"Prior to entering the theater today, I went in with an open-Bible-mind and open-Spirit-heart. I hoped that this movie was better than the mini-series, but alas, it was not. The majority of this film was simply scenes taken from the heretical and blasphemous mini-series."  _ "I won't go point by point on all the biblical errors in this movie because honestly, there's just not enough room in one review nor time in one day to cover the ineptness of the writers and producers of this film."

"It’s my opinion that this movie, if it MUST be shown, should at the very least come with a disclaimer something like the following: 'The following movie is drawn from the words of the Bible, but is not an attempt to literally recreate any portion of the Biblical narratives in the Gospels, but instead, retell the parts the authors most liked in the way they most liked to tell them.' Because that really sums up what I observed."

But even these reviews don't cover everything that could be addressed. Both authors admit this! And I can see how, because again, in just 30 minutes I had pages of notes on inaccuracies.

No one should watch this movie, or the mini-series that preceded it by the same creator.

Speaking of Son of God's primary creator, Roma Downey, she has a very questionable take on the Truth. It's true that no two Christians fully agree on everything, but then there's folks like Downey. Do the research and you might be surprised at what you find. She, for example, has a degree from the University of Santa Monica in "Spiritual Psychology." Here's how the website itself defines this discipline:

"Spiritual Psychology is the study and practice of the art and science of human evolution in consciousness." _ "Put another way, Spiritual Psychology is a technology that empowers students to convert their everyday life experiences into rungs on the ladder of Spiritual Evolution."

Folks, the spirit of the degree is purely New Age, i.e. not Christian. And I've not seen any indication that she has renounced its teachings.

Let's also note that in 2002 Roma Downey went on television with psychic and medium Jonathan Edwards to talk to her dead mother, a practice condemned in the Bible!

SPREAD THE WORD: DO NOT WATCH THIS MOVIE.

ROB'S FINAL OPINION

Zero stars - I hated it.

No comments:

Post a Comment